the likely site of the circa 1750 house of Abraham Ryker, son of
John Riker, induced from
the 1776 sequential listing of "Possessions in
Lockharts Patent" along Snedens Landing Road that included fourteen families within the New Jersey gore: John Gissnar
[Gesner, known site], Jacob Concklin Jr. [existing], Gerardus Ryker
Ryker [existing], Abraham Ryker [this site], and Abraham Abm. Haring Jr.
is clear that the Rykers (Gerardus, John Sr., and Abraham) each had their
own house on John Ryker lands, arranged from north to south along the road between those of
Jacob Conklin, Jr, (existing as Conklin-Sneden House) and Abraham Ab. Haring, Jr.
(existing as Haring-Corning House).
Thus the original Ryker tract was situated between and adjacent to those
lands Jacob Conklin, Jr. and Abraham Ab. Haring, Jr.*
old brownstone Abraham Riker house was subsequently occupied by Abraham's
son, Peter Riker. Through his only child, Elizabeth, Peter Riker Haring
inherited a portion of the Abraham Ryker lands. However, the lands soon
past to Jacob J. Riker, John's son, and in turn by his son, Abraham Riker.
After this last Abraham's untimely death in 1863, the property was sold to
Richard Brodhead Sloat. The house exists today as the "old stone kitchen"
with thick sandstone walls deep within the Greek Revival structure that
was the former "Pegasus Club" (15 Rockleigh Road).
McMahon: Two Haring Houses at Rockleigh, NJ,
mms Bergen County Historical Society, River Edge, NJ
On the 1878 Walker Atlas map
of Harrington Township, B. [R. Brodhead] Sloat, brother of Jenkins
Sloat, is shown in residence. By
1891, the Beers Orangetown Map shows S. Smith [poss. Simon Smith of
Marbletown, NY, acquaintance of Jenkins Sloat] in residence and also owning
the adjacent property to the north.
the mid 1920's the Pegasus Club had acquired much of the "Sneden
Fields" between Rockleigh Road and Piermont Road and the
Ryker-Sloat House became the clubhouse. The Greek Revival renovations to the old
stone house likely were made at that time. By 1938, the now very posh equestrian and
polo club consisted an outdoor field where horse shows were held as
well as an outdoor and indoor polo field, sites of national championship
polo matches. Fox hunts were held on the
April 22, 1939 -- The Pegasus Club of Rockleigh, NJ, earns a
berth in the national polo championships and is ranked the best in the
Record Sports Pages:
The club fell to the War
effort in the early 1940's. During the 1960's, the house was owned
by author Edgar Park Snow until his death in 1973. E.P. Snow spent
considerable periods in China, during which he leased his home to the
Rose Haven School for student accommodations. Subsequently, J.D.
Radcliff and P. Wollard
came into the property, then the Stover Family.