[Home]  [Up]

Abraham A.A. Haring House
c. 1758

 

         Erected on a 200-acre farm by Abraham A. Haring, a captain in the Bergen County Militia. During the Revolutionary War, Haring was captured by the British and imprisoned in New York City where he died. In 1805, his grandson Abraham David Haring sold the house to Moses Taylor, Jr., who built the frame kitchen wing about 1812. Taylor descendants owned the house until 1902.

BCHS Marker

 Site No. 3 

9 Piermont Road

Links

Haring Family

Taylor Family

           Abraham A.A. Haring, Jr. (1734-c. 1780), newly married, began construction circa 1755, consisting of 200 acres in "Closter", was  part of  the Lockhart Patent of June 27, 1687.   Abraham A. Haring, Sr. of Tappan,  had purchased 200 acres in "Closter"  between 1725 and 1759 from Henry Ludlow.  Since Abraham Sr. continued to live on his farmstead on Tappan Road, west of the Sparkill, this purchase was likely for his sons. He acquired other lands (purchase dates unknown) bordering on the farm including "lot of fresh meadow" situated near the Sparkill (currently part of the Rockleigh Golf Course). This also included "the farm adjoined that to the east of John Ryker" as well as "one lot from Johannes Nagel." 

Capt. Abraham A. A. Haring House
Photo circa 1973

         The dwelling is a rectangular 1 story wide-gable roof sandstone structure (44' 10" x 34" 0") is set facing easterly on a gentle knoll  on the west side of Closter Publick Road ( south Piermont Road) where it turned easterly as Snedens Landing Road. The Dutch were fond of placing their homes with a sloping lawn and a large garden to the south. 

          Typical of the early Dutch houses of the region, the walls were raised of finely-cut sandstone. The varying hues of the stones add life to the carefully cut and joined stonework. The wide gable roof overhung the walls. The roof peak was built in the old style without a ridge pole. The rafters and beams were secured with wooden pegs.  The roof extends in a curving Dutch sweep over the front porch addition and is supported by wooden posts. The upper portions are clapboard. This is one of the few extent examples of a gable roof covering a deep house. Its lines and proportions are good. 

"Two Haring Houses at Rockleigh", Reginald McMahon, 1973, 
(mms Bergen County Historical Society, River Edge, NJ):
 "Bergen County Historic Sites Survey, Borough of Rockleigh, 1981-1982"
(Bergen County Office of Cultural and Historic Affairs, Hackensack, NJ).

          A Dutch door, hung on Dutch-style iron hinges, opens into a large center hall that leads through the heart of the house to the rear entrance. There is one room on each side of the center hall, although there are indications that originally there were two small back rooms. There are great fireplaces in the sitting room and the parlor; the dining  room has a smaller fireplace. The house has some of its original floorboards and some original Dutch-style hardware. The interior walls are coated with animal-hair plaster. The half-story garret above originally provided storage space and a small second-floor living space.   The basement is smaller than the dimensions of the house with stone arches supporting the fireplace. Access for storage of crop vegetables was provided by two hatchways built into the eastern foundation wall, but were removed when the wide porch was added.   

"Two Haring Houses at Rockleigh", Reginald McMahon, 1973 
(mms, Bergen County Historical Society, River Edge, NJ);
"Bergen County Historic Sites Survey, Borough of Rockleigh, 1981-1982"
Bergen County Office of Cultural and Historic Affairs, Hackensack, NJ.

          After the death of Captain Abraham, his house would be occupied by his son David A.  Haring who died in his prime. One of his sons, Abraham D. Haring, inherited the homestead portion of the property which he sold in 1805 to Moses Taylor, Jr. of New York City. The Abraham A. Haring House would remain in the Moses Taylor family for about 100 years. Later additions include dormers and a side kitchen wing (20' 8" x ~20') built about 1812 for Moses Taylor.* Moses Taylor's young wife died in childbirth in 1813 . He remarried within a year.

* Rosalie F.  Bailey: "Pre-Revolutionary Dutch Houses and Families", p. 297, , (New York 1936).

         The separate "old stone kitchen", circa 1750's, is surmised to have been demolished by Moses Taylor when this new attached frame kitchen wing was added. However, local tradition contends that the "old stone kitchen" had been dismantled in 1803 at the time of the subdivision and moved piece by piece to the south about 700 yards to be rebuilt as the start of the John A, Haring homestead. 

The house was "rebuilt" with the addition of the kitchen wing in 1812 by Nicholas Haring for Moses Taylor, Jr. The "new" kitchen had an immense fireplace and big brick oven.

"My grandfather [Moses Taylor, Jr.] added a wing to the house, and the old stone separate kitchen was taken down at that time, but a big brick oven was built out from the more modern kitchen, and as a child I remember seeing the bread and pies and cakes drawn out from this oven  by a long-handled wooden implement not unlike the wooden snow-shovel...."*

*Emma Winner Rogers: "Journal of a Country Woman" p.20, (New York, 1912)

"There was a smaller fireplace in the big dining room and there are great fireplaces in the sitting room and parlor. Everything is simple, strong, and substantial."

*Emma Winner Rogers: "Journal of a Country Woman" p.20, (New York, 1912)

          Moses J. Taylor  inherited the house from his father, Moses Taylor, Jr. In turn, his daughter, Mary,  married John Vervalen who sold the house out of the family in the early 20th century. Emma Winner Rogersgrand daughter of  Moses Taylor, Jr., and author of "The Journal of a Country Woman," rented the Abraham A. Haring house in the first decade of the 20th century from "Minnie Bixler of East Northvale" who owned the house from 1902 to (poss) 1918, but Alan H. Lexom is noted on the Bromley map of 1912. In the 1930's the house was owned by H.S. Kniffin, mayor of Rockleigh from 1936 to1944. In 1967, it was owned by Harriet Haring-Duke, grand daughter of Nicholas Haring. By 1973, the house has owned by George Kershaw (mayor of Rockleigh) and the garret had been finished into four bedrooms and bath.

          The Abraham A. Haring House, while having been altered through the years, still retains a sufficient amount of its original fabric that it should be recognized and retained. It is included in the National Registry for its architectural significance, for its association with the exploration and settlement of the Bergen County area, and for its remaining historic fabric. It is included in the Register of Historic Places for the Early Stone Houses of Bergen County, New Jersey.  

"Bergen County Historic Sites Survey, Borough of Rockleigh, 1981-1982"
(Bergen County Office of Cultural and Historic Affairs, Hackensack, NJ) 

   
    Capt. Abraham A. A. Haring House
Photo 2003

 People who Lived There 

       

1758 -  c.1780

Capt. Abraham A. Haring (1734-c.1780) & Catherine Lent (?-c.1759)  
Capt. Abraham A. Haring (1734-c.1780) & Jannetje Verbryck (1732-c.1768) 
Capt. Abraham A. Haring (1734-c.1780) & Margarietje Blauvelt (1749-?) 

1780 - 1803

David A. Haring (1760 - 1801) & Elizabeth Blauvelt (?-c.1790) 
David A. Haring
(1760 - 1801) & Maria Alyea (Aliee) (c.1760-?)

1803 - 1805

Abraham D. Haring (1784-1862)

1805 - 1869

Moses Taylor, Jr. (1771-1869) & Margaret Towt (1781-1813) 
Moses Taylor, Jr. (1771-1869) &
Mary Martin (?-?)

1869 - 1886

Margaret Elizabeth Taylor (?-?)

1880 - 1902

John Vervalen & Mary E. Taylor-Vervalen (c.1841-?)

1902 - 1912

[Minnie Bixler owner of record]
Emma Winner Rogers

1912 - 1930's

Alan H. Lexom [Owner of record]

1930's - 1967

Howard S. Kniffen, Jr

1967-1973

Harriet Haring-Duke

1973-1988 

George and Bernice Kershaw 

1988-

[Peter and Roberta Adams owners of record]

 

Mario Porto Family

 Map References 

Hopkins-Corey (1861) M. Taylor
Walker's Atlas (1876) Moses J. Taylor
Beers (1891) J. Vervalen
Bromley (1912) Alan H. Lexom

  References 

"Two Haring Houses at Rockleigh", Reginald McMahon, 1973 (mms, Bergen County Historical Society, River Edge , NJ)

Bergen County Historic Sites Survey, Borough of Rockleigh, 1981-1982  
(Bergen County Office of Cultural and Historic Affairs, Hackensack, NJ)

 "Pre-Revolutionary Dutch Houses and Families in  Northern New Jersey and Southern New York", Rosalie F. Bailey
p. 296-297. Dover Press, NY, 1968
(originally published by William Morrow & Company, NY, 1936)

"Journal of a Country Woman" p.20, Emma Winner Rogers (New York, 1912) 

Compiled by E. W. April, 2002